Sometimes, I freelance. This is where you’d learn about that.
If you are an author writing a character outside of your lived experience, you may want what the publishing industry calls a “sensitivity reader” to vet your work for harmful tropes and stereotypes of marginalized characters. While I do prefer the space for Black characters in fiction to be created and occupied by Black writers, I can appreciate an earnest interest from non-Black writers seeking to make the works they create more inclusive.
I provide sensitivity reads and consultation for representation of Black characters (queer/bisexual, cisgender woman, American south/mid-Atlantic region), depictions of mental illness (Bipolar I Disorder, post-traumatic stress), and hoh/auditory processing disorders (adult onset). I read for all genres, with a particular love for speculative fiction/SFF, of course.
Current turnaround time is 30 days.
6 4 slots currently available March 2019 – May 2019.
- 15,000 words – 30,000 words: $125
- 30,001 words – 50,000 words: $200
- 50,001 words – 80,000 words: $250
- 80,001 words – 100,000 words: $350
- 100,000 words+ : $350 + .02 cents/additional word
Works of <15k words and consultation on concept/plot/characters pay a $75 flat fee.
$40 fee per 50k words for accelerated reading/expedited due dates.
All prices USD
- Got an awesome podcast, presentation, or video that needs transcribing/captioning for accessibility to D/deaf +H/hoh people or those with auditory processing disorders? Rates range $1.15 – $1.75 per audio minute, currently with a 48 hour turnaround.
PDF Document Accessibility
- WCAG compliant (screen-reader accessible) PDF – priced per page and quantity of documents.
- (I literally had a JHU office commission me to remediate over a hundred 36-90pg informational PDF documents for accessibility a few years back. So, this can be a one-off document or a series you mean to bring up to standard.)
EPUB + MOBI EBook Formatting
- For ebooks, 1 format (either EPUB or MOBI) per title $160, +$40 for second format
Website design [currently closed to new projects]